U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Newbie Gum fun Continued

Re: Newbie Gum fun Continued

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Newbie Gum fun Continued
  • From: trevor cunningham <tr_cunningham@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 01:39:14 -0700 (PDT)

Been following this.  I've done a gum or two and am not encouraged by the results.  I'm interested in the whole sizing element.  I know many papers come already sized, but either the sizing is inadequate for gums or it is lost in the shrinking process.  When sizing, it's dipped into the gelatin, then a seperate hardener bath?  or hardener is mixed with the gelatin solution?

Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com> wrote:

PS to Jacek:

Often the best way to get a "black" in gum printing is to mix two or more
colors... for a long time I mixed a Rowney gouache "jet black" with a
strong red. There are also complements that mixed together make "black,"
or maybe something like burnt umber with indigo (which, depending on the
make and pigment of course, can have a lot of covering power).

Judy

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it's true" - J Robert Oppenheimer

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.