U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: orotone

Re: orotone

It wasn't gold leaf, but gold dust put on a coat of shellac and dusted off.  Very toxic.  One of Curtis' assistants was Imogene Cunningham, the cala lily lady; who suggested they use brass dust instead of gold because Curits' prolific image making was running into and past some serioius costs.

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 10:38 AM
Subject: RE: orotone

I just got a gallery on  alternatephotography.com and there are five orotone glass plates that I recently finished .These do not scan well because they lose the three dimensional effect of light passing through the positive image and reflecting back from the gold leaf on the back of the second glass plate.

http://www.alternativephotography.com/artists/robert_cockrell.html

I am interested in finding who first made orotone plates and the history of the process. The only information that I find is about Curtis and he renamed the process to Curtis Type.

Best regards,

Robert Cockrell