U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Computer manuals [WAS: Pierre Duncan etc.]

Re: Computer manuals [WAS: Pierre Duncan etc.]

----- Original Message ----- From: "etienne garbaux" <photographeur@nerdshack.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 3:06 PM
Subject: Computer manuals [WAS: Pierre Duncan etc.]

Judy wrote:

The day I realized that the manual for an upgrade lacked index entries for items in the menu, I realized all was lost. But by then I was trapped.
I recently replaced my aging G4 with a PC workstation, and was very pleased to see that it came with a nice, thick manual. Until I opened it. 250 pages of lawyerly warnings in at least a dozen languages. (!!) No user manual of any sort.

It does, however, appear to have drivers for just about every peripheral hardware device known to man, old and new. I have plugged in every old printer, scanner, plotter, monitor, external drive, card reader, CD burner, keyboard, mouse, trackball, tablet, etc. that I can find, and every one has worked perfectly with absolutely no further effort from me, including features that are unique to each device. It even supports things as obscure as my old hand-held GPS unit. Quite remarkable, actually.

Best regards,

etienne

Its possible the manuals are on-line. I have a Sony VAIO which came with a small brochure packed in with the back-up discs. The manuals are on-line. I downloaded them, many pages of instructions and specifications. Ink on paper printing is expensive and computer makers assume you will do everything on-line anyway. Also, they mostly can't write.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com