I find the lockstep ideology that says photographs should all look the same, very tiresome. The photographs that are interesting to me are the ones that aren't afraid to take the road less traveled, or blaze their own path. I don't care very much for Creart or for any proprietary process, but let's at least give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume that he knows what he wants his work to look like.

My 2 cents.
Katharine

On May 27, 2007, at 3:25 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@montana.net>
To: "Alt, List" <alt-photo-process-L@usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2007 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: Attn Chris + All Creart enthusiasts.A message from Pierre Duncan.

                    I do like his images, though. Do you?
John - Photographist - London - UK

http://www.2000net.com/fujifilm/perera/

Hmmmm....I don't like to judge others' work online much, but...

I am biased to the gum process and these look a little low
contrast and multicolor in a somewhat drab way, but then again when you
photograph gums they also look crummier than in real life because of the way
the glossy gum diffracts light.

The internet is really sometimes a pain--either images look way better than
they are in person, or worse. I know Carl Weese, for instance, "mimics" his
ziatypes for online presentation because there is no way to get an adequate
delicacy of detail online.

The fact that Perera is showing places must mean they look intriguing in
person. And they are large, it looks like...

The process is supposedly less toxic but I don't know what the hardener is
to make it so.
Chris

I also wonder what we are seeing. I note that all the samples on the web site have rather dense magenta-ish borders. I saved the large image of the woman with a bucket and adjusted it in Photoshop. After adjusting it looks quite good. The histograms look peculiar. It sure would be interesting to know what the originals look like.
BTW, you might get better results in photographing work with surface reflection by using polarized light and a polarizing filter on the camera. This is a standard technique in copying. Both light source and camera polarizers are adjusted to minimize the surface reflections.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com