U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | cyanotype toning and staining

cyanotype toning and staining

hi,

thanks to all for the information a while ago concerning one coat gums. Haven't had time yet to try them, but definitely will. I've been busy moving a to new house, and good thing is that I can get a decent darkroom there.

On my voyage to alt-proc, I've learned to coat cyantypes, bought Dan B's inkjet compandion, got an uv-light source, made from two u-shaped fluorescent lamps and things are going on now with routine. So I tried toning the cyanotype prints first with tea and after that tannic acid. I bleached both with ammonia and sodium carbonate. I got nice brownish tone, but the highlights stained badly, lowering the overall contrast quite heavily. Is this normal or is there a way to avoid staining? There's nothing wrong with the prussian blue, but wanted to see how the prints look with different colours.

thanks

-matti