U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: HP B9180 for digital negatives

Re: HP B9180 for digital negatives

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: HP B9180 for digital negatives
  • From: Erich Camerling <e.camerling@tiscali.nl>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:48:04 +0200

Sandy King wrote at 13-03-2007:
In conjunction with another person I just ran some tests for UV blocking density with the HP B9180 printer, which is a 13" wide pigment printer of similar characteristics and performance to the Epsons 1800/2400.

The results are very encouraging. The UV blocking of Green by itself in the PDN tonal palette is log 4.75, Red is log 2.58 and Blue is log 1.31. The practical consequence is that there is a wide range of specific color matches on the PDN color palette that would work for any given alternative process. I also checked Michael Koch-Schultze's color arrays and you can find multiple working squares there as well.

I will continue my tests today of this printer for smoothness and tonality.

Sandy King

Dear Sandy,

Maybe my provider blocked unintentional an other e-mail from you but I
never saw the results of your tests for smoothness and tonality.
Can you tell me where I can find them ?
In a German magazine I found a test about the B9180.They wrote that the
printer makes most noise of all the tested A3 printers,used most power :
38 watt,but was by far the cheapest in printing.
BUT :THEY COULD NOT PRINT ON FILM !! Every time they tried to do that it
became a mess.They even advised HP to remove the word "transparantfolie"
(film) from their specifications ! (But they didn't specify what sort of
film it was,maybe it was film for an overhead projector.)What film did
you use for your tests ?

Erich