U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: negative scanners (OT)

Re: negative scanners (OT)

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: negative scanners (OT)
  • From: eric nelson <emanphoto@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:54:53 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;b=PlgVf3w53ETqpuF4hRoHy6gTdFSk4MLMDkSpDQreY3SuSZS2jWfSTLVW0rTuQjAbEeq5VPzF2MKOXhzz+Dp7Vl3l5KACXEeBQl5AqIKXSXqP9VINPNzc+1rMg4lOEYKD92YusfIWCFS6Pfmqy7vmqfMWZeRp1eCJ/t+w2bkq9no=

Although I've heard of very slight improvements via the V-series
epsons and wet mounting over their 4990, (which I have), the proof was
in the pudding for me for using film scanners over flatbeds.
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=470241529&size=o

All of the conveniences you mention are very valid as well as digital
ice and dust & scratch removal, and I love using them with my flatbed
Epson, but I'll be going to dedicated film scanning from now on.

The film scanner sample was made w/an older model film scanner, the
PF3600 Pro, and the screen shots were done with the files displayed in
actual pixels.  The original is a 35mm at 3600dpi.

So one can imagine the improvements in using a really good Nikon
scanner.  Until I get one I will have to! =(

Eric