U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: negative scanners (OT)

Re: negative scanners (OT)

In addition to the issue of the rather exaggerated nature of the comparison, cost is another issue, especially if you are looking for a one size fits all scanner. By all sizes I mean 35mm, medium format and LF. If you want a scanner that will deliver fully in all sizes, you must pay a lot. And I mean in the thousands and thousands.

If you must cover several formats, my advice would be a dedicated film scanner for 35mm, and a flatbed like the V700 or V7500 for medium format and LF. Of, if only LF, a 4990.

If you are only interested in 35mm through 4X5 and want great quality at a bargain price, contact me. I have a Leafscan 45 (with MAC G3 system) for sale. The Leaf is a vintage scanner that cost over $20,000 in the late 90s, and still scans at the level of current Nikon medium format scanners, 6000 dpi in 35mm, 2450 dpi in mediunm format, and 1200 dpi in 4X5. Unlike most scanners. it uses a high quality focusing APO Rodenstock lens. I won't ship this equipment since it is fairly heavy, so it is available only for pick-up.

BTW, my reason for selling is that I just purchased and got operational a very high-end professional flatbed scanner, a Scitex Creo EverSmart Pro, which scans at a true 3175 over the entire area of a tabloid, 12X17". Not inexpensive, and very heavy, but a great piece of equipment. But for 35mm through medium format, the Leafscan 45 is not far off.

Sandy King