U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Shooting long range negs?

Re: Shooting long range negs?

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Shooting long range negs?
  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:45:23 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ross Chambers" <maelduin@ozemail.com.au>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 12:12 AM

on 12/8/07 16:51, Ross Chambers at maelduin@ozemail.com.au wrote:

I'm off tomorrow to shoot a new bunch of negs (well 4 anyway, I only have 2
5x7 film holders at the moment), I'll apply some of the advice from you all.
I'm using Fomapan 200 rating it at 100 ISO.

Well that WORKED! Developed 15 minutes (i.e. 50% over) in D76 1+1.
Unfortunately I tempted fate (or overestimated my skills) and developed all
4 sheets in the sheet over sheet tray method and -- yep -- scratched 2.

I fancy myself a pretty good darkroom technician but have never found a sure fire method of tray developing multiple sheets without scratching. One tip I've found helpful is to use quite large trays, at least one size larger than the film but never smaller than 8x10 for any size film. There must be room for your hands in the tray.
Note that scratching can also take place in the fixing bath. Even when a hardening fixer is used the hardener takes time to work and the film may be pretty soft after development and stopping.
Also beware of scratching when washing more than one sheet in a tray with a syphon. the sheets tend to accumulate and the corners can cause gouging. I usually put a clothespin at one corner of each negative to keep them separated.
Print drums work pretty well for small numbers of sheets but have a set of vices all their own.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com