U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | New Blog on the block

New Blog on the block

Hello Listers,

There is an interesting blog that maybe of interest to some of you. It's
main theme is whole plate cameras but today's posting discusses palladium
printing using Rives BFK. Very informative.

Here is the URL: 

Don Bryant 

-----Original Message-----
From: Loris Medici [mailto:mail@loris.medici.name] 
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 3:29 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: RE: Freeform gum (Re: Gum printers in UK (Re: Scott McMahon gum
workshop, September

I see... Makes sense.

Nevertheless, I tend to include the method "separation by using the same
negative - with different colors - for multiple printings" into the
classification of "freeform" -> especially when one doesn't use stock
gum/pigment solutions (mix / add pigment by eye, instead). Additionally,
one can change the order of colors + the colors + printing times and/or
dichromate amounts to get very different results with the same

To me, only prints made [using strict separations (either duotone or RGB
/ CMYK) + using strict gum/pigment solutions + using automatic
development] don't quality as freeform -> these are simply reproducing
the printing press' actions by hand - with the freedom of choosing
colors... (Manipulating the image in development such as using a brush,
sponge, water jets / turkey baster ect... would allow the print to
qualify as "freefrom".)

Of couse, this is a highly subjective view open to discussion...


-----Original Message-----
From: Katharine Thayer [mailto:kthayer@pacifier.com] 
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 9:58 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: Freeform gum (Re: Gum printers in UK (Re: Scott McMahon gum
workshop, September

Actually, when I mused that maybe this isn't a freeform gum, maybe  
it's done with "a separation negative of some sort,"   I wasn't  
thinking just of tricolor separations but of anything that separated  
the tones into a separate negative, in addition to a possible color  
separation.  But certainly c would work too.  The question was, if  
it's a freeform gum, how was the color separated?  None of the  
answers below assumes a freeform gum, but all are certainly possible  
ways of achieving it with "a separation negative of some sort;"    
even "c" uses the negative to separate the colors rather than  
separating the colors in application or development.  (When  
tentatively defining freeform gum,  I was only thinking of separating  
the colors by selective application; I hadn't thought of separating  
the colors in development  as Damiano did; that's very well done).


On Aug 19, 2007, at 10:37 PM, Loris Medici wrote:

> Not that I think I have a better idea but will list some solutions
> that
> look probable to me:
> a) Making duotone (or tritone, or quadtone) separations. My color
> theory
> / duotone knowledge is limited, so I can't say if one could design
> duotones profiles giving results similar to the image in question...
> b) As Katharine says -> making tri-color separations... (Coloring done

> in image editing program...)
> c) Using a fairly high contrast negative and printing the highlights /

> midtones and shadows in different colors. Shadows could have been 
> printed using a fairly opaque color or a color that gives green when 
> printed over earth colors - if possible... (Again, I don't know if
> there
> are such opaque greens - or if there's a color which will give green
> when printed over earth colors... A transparent blue?)
> I would first try (c) then (b) and (a)...
> Regards,
> Loris.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Katharine Thayer [mailto:kthayer@pacifier.com]
> Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:40 PM
> To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
> Subject: Freeform gum (Re: Gum printers in UK (Re: Scott McMahon gum 
> workshop, September
> ..
> Hence David's question about how one would get such a nice separation 
> of the green, in the absence of the use of color separations.  One 
> possibility is that maybe that image isn't a freeform gum but is done
> with a separation negative of some sort.   Otherwise, I don't know
> how it could be done.
> Hope that's helpful, and as I said, I hope if someone has a better 
> idea, they'll say so. Katharine