U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Freeform gum (Re: Gum printers in UK (Re: Scott McMahon gumworksho

Re: Freeform gum (Re: Gum printers in UK (Re: Scott McMahon gumworkshop, September

Thanks, Loris, that's what I was hoping to see, other definitions of what freeform gum is. Our definitions are rather different. Has anyone seen a formal definition of this, or is this such a vageuely defined term that we all have different definitions for it?

The way I read your definition, almost all gum prints qualify as freeform; that portion you exempt (simply reproducing the printing press's actions by hand, as you say) seems to me the least interesting way to use the gum process, although I did tricolor prints that way for almost a decade, during the 90s. I eventually got bored with the rote tedium of it and stopped producing such prints. I told someone I felt as if I were working at a factory or something; it had stopped being fun or interesting to me.

A year ago or so, a person wrote to ask me if I have any "freeform multicolor or tricolor prints" available for sale. I wasn't sure exactly what he meant by freeform, but I didn't have any work of any kind on hand and had just moved and my workshop wasn't set up yet, so the answer was an easy no, I didn't have any multicolor or tricolor prints of any kind available for sale. I described the work that was hanging in galleries at the time, which was mostly monochrome, which didn't interest him. Then later, when I did have multicolor and tricolor prints on hand, I had forgotten about him, and now that this discussion has triggered my memory, I don't have anything again, and won't til after I've finished painting the laundry room in my new house. But at any rate, I wouldn't have thought of my duochrome or tricolor gums as "freeform" because like Livick (at least from what I was able to gather of the distinction he was making) for me it's the use of color separations, or any kind of negative that separates the colors, that distinguishes freeform from not freeform for me. So any print where a negative or negatives separate the colors doesn't qualify as a freeform; my definition requires selective application of color or selective development to separate the colors.

But this makes me curious; I'm going to hunt up that person's e-mail and ask him what he meant by free-form. I'm really curious now whether this term actually has a definition, or if it just means whatever anyone chooses to think it means.
Katharine