U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: New Blog on the block

Re: New Blog on the block

Well, as the author of that piece, I'll just chime in and tell you that my language was perhaps not precise enough. Dimensionally stable implies: "Won't change dimensions", and as you point out, humidity and other things can affect the dimensions of damn near any material.

What I should have said is that any changes in dimensions are proportional. For example, when I treat COT320 or Platine with identical procedures, they still show non proportional dimensional changes. In other words, they make lousy papers for multiple printing because you will be 'on' in one direction and 'off' in another when you try to re-register your negative. I still haven't found a way to make a paper shrink or expand in only one direction.

And yes, I will confess to being somewhat 'trained' with that paper. It works exceedingly well if you are consistent. If you procedures are more slapdash, it will give variable results.

Who would have figured that a 175gsm paper would make a great 3 layer gumover substrate? That sure wouldn't have passed my sniff test until I tried it.

Cheers,

clay