U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | cmyk negatives?

cmyk negatives?

Folks, I've finally worked up nerve to try a three color gum. I have made curves for yellow, cyan and magenta which look like they might work. My problem is how to make the negatives. I thought it would be simple--convert image from RGB to CMYK, separate out the channels, invert, print each one and that's it. Well, first off, without the K channel the image on the screen is really flat, but I sort of remember that few of you actually print a black layer--am I wrong? Any advice is appreciated.
Charles Portland OR