U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: baume meter

Re: baume meter

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, zphoto@montana.net wrote:

Judy,

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_index.asp?search=baume&x=41&y=10
Thanks...

The reason for the test tube vs. the fatty graduate--you
have to fill a greater volume in the bigger diameter
container.
I hadn't thought of that, probably because I'd just lugged a few quarts of ready-mixed to school... If you're mixing them specially that would be an issue...

And now that you mention it, I remember "hydrometer" -- which is what they taught us in freshman psychology: recognition is easier than recollection... (but not to be confused with hygrometer, which measures humidity)...

cheers,

Judy

I found $24.50 + shipping not too big a deal to get an
accurate idea of what different baume gums feel like.

Actually, the correct name is an hydrometer I
think...because googling "baume meter" has problems :)

BTW it isn't digital, it is kindof a weird looking
contraption, too.  Not terribly high tech.
Chris