U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Anyone doing autochrome?

Re: Anyone doing autochrome?

If you were to replace the potato starch with something else perhaps it would
be possible.  The starch creates a very fine grained random dot color
filter -  its filters the light on exposure and when viewed.  The starch
layer and the film were fused together.

It might be possible to make something that mimics the potato starch by
printing a fine color dot pattern with an inkjet printer.

It could be placed in front a negative when making an exposure, the film would
be reverse developed.

To view the same screen- or perhaps an identical copy would have to be aligned
on the negative for viewing.  Alignment marks on the screen could be made to
make alignment possible.  Maybe a film folder that incorporates a autochrome
filter ?

The Lumiere's had to create a series of very large settling ponds with
decreasing  currents in order to separate a fine enough potato starch
grain. - the starch grains would settle out according to the strength of the
current - as the current decreased small and smaller starch grains would
settle.  A set of settling ponds with slower and slower currents was
necessary to isolate the smallest starch grains.

These then had to then be flattened with the gigantic press in order for the
starch grains to transmit light appropriately.

We have much easier ways of making tiny transparent colored dots.

There is a good article on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autochrome

I believe Jean-Paul Gandolfo wrote a very good article in a photography
journal that summarizes the process very well.  I don't recall the details -
but if someone is very interested I could find it again - our library has a
copy.

Gord