U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Mixing Ratio: 14 Baume Gum From Powder

Re: Mixing Ratio: 14 Baume Gum From Powder

Christina wrote:
I find the commercial gums too thin so I mix my own, both 1+1 and 1+2, but 1+1 is definitely thick and glossy, and usually reserved for fattening up a
If you find a commercial gum too thin... make your dichromate solution stronger and use less of it.. Or, if you've been using potassium bi... switch to ammonium bi and use saturated...

The other thing, which I've never done but ought to work, is pour the commercial gum into a large shallow pan & let evaporate...

I suppose if you're used to mixing from powder and it's working for you, no need to change tactics... but I hated mixing the gum arabic from powder... too many rotating variables, or it seemed that way.

J.