U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | 3 layer gum on Masa affixed to Yupo

3 layer gum on Masa affixed to Yupo

Hi all,

This is my very first finalized gum print - so don't be too harsh ;)

Affixing Masa to Yupo using 3M Photo Mount spray adhesive worked well for me;
a) No more registration problems - thanks to the stable base, I can perfectly register the negative while doing multi-layer prints. I couldn't manage this before affixing the paper to a stable base.
b) From now on, I can make a 3 layer gum print in less than 2 hours...

Here's the print:
http://www.loris.medici.name/gum/gum_masa_3coats_sm.jpg

Tonality and subtlety is poor compared to Artistico. But this combo surely works when you're in pursuit of this particular look and/or you prefer to work quick. (Please note that this is a fairly small print; only ~ 6x9"...)

This image consists of three layers:
1. Ivory black, 10% Ammonium Dichromate, 2:22
2. Yellow raw ochre, 10% Ammonium Dichromate, 3:00 (This is a mixture of PY42 + PY43, I guess I will put this as the first layer since I didn't like it on top of neutral gray/black...)
3. Ivory black + process cyan, 5% Ammonium Dichromate, 1:55

Will also try to print this over with a Cyanotype first-layer.

The actual image is cooler and less grainy compared to the scan - calibration and interpolation problems. It's an OK reproduction...