U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Merits and Demerits of Salted vs. VDB

Merits and Demerits of Salted vs. VDB

To the brown folk,

I've made my first VDB prints today.

I've had a few sessions with salted prints, with which I was fairly happy.

The VDB prints were, to my eye, not remarkably different (same paper, same
exposure conditions: the Sun), although I did lose a couple when following a
prescribed selenium toning step (fade to white!)

So, re the header, do experienced practioners of these techniques find
greater merits in one or the other? Do the contrast ranges of the negative
favour one or the other?

Regards - Ross

Ross Chambers
Blue Mountains