U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: alt exhibit

Re: alt exhibit

Thanks, Chris. I was trying to find the original entry form myself, because I also remembered it as being fairly "loose" under that "alternative" theme.

Still . . . while I can more easily view silver gelatin prints as being an "alternative process" these days-- or, at least, I can be convinced of that-- I do not view digital color prints, most likely manipulated in Photoshop, in this same way. And I was also surprised (and somewhat disappointed) to see so many included. I think the blurb said that they had ~700 submissions, too. Not sure what that implies about alternative processes in general . . . but, yes, nice to see so much work represented from this list.

I'm also surprised your dept kept the color printers as long as they did. Where I teach, they got rid of those some years ago, without much fanfare-- one day they were there; the next day they were gone-- along with the person who taught those courses-- all disappeared-- seemingly overnight. They're still holding steadfast to the traditional darkroom/b&w enlargers, though . . .

Diana