U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Beware of Amazon.com

Re: Beware of Amazon.com

Wow, so I went online Amazon and checked...

Yeah, my Tutti Nudi, an essentially $14 book is $65 (!)

So from the self-publishing standpoint, here are my thoughts (Tutti is not
self published).

I, too, like Thom below, buy many books from Amazon and really appreciate
their usual prices and their free shipping on orders over a certain price
AND I get the books immediately. But I can't believe they charge 60%. I
would have to raise the price of my books if I sold there.

I suffer from PhotoEye carrying my books and taking a 40% profit which
essentially makes me profit not even $5 a book. AND to top that one, they
now make us pay shipping to them AND we are not allowed to ask for payment
except once every 6 months. I only carry them there for exposure.

Experimental is $43 and Alt is $38.50 on Amazon I see--(both the latter are
available for $38 which includes shipping
in the U.S. on alternativephotography.com). But a plug for Petra Keller at
Camerabooks.com who is the seller--the only reason she has the latter two at
a bit inflated price is to
actually make a profit since Amazon charges so much.

I don't know who the heck is selling Tutti Nudi at $65--certainly not her!

So basically if people want my books I direct them to two places--Malin
Fabbri's website first, because it is Paypal and she is so efficient and
nice. I even prefer going through her than selling the book out of my own
house even though I pay her a percentage because I believe in her website.

Plus she is so nice and efficient and Paypal is hassle free! AND I
mail my books flat rate out to all over the world because her website is
global--expensive postage but incredibly efficient (except lately I have
found it to
take about 3 weeks to get to even Europe).

And next, Freestyle has both my books in their catalog and they are a total
joy to work with--they order 10 or 20 at a time, pay for shipping, and PAY
me in full Net30. Plus they have a 5000 catalog distribution a month.

The downside to self-publishing as I bet Judy can attest--big bucks out at
the offset, a lot of legwork for little money, and sometimes snafus--the
shipment of Alt I picked up yesterday has all color images in it collated
wrong....back to the printer.
Chris
----- Original Message ----- From: "Thom Mitchell" <tjmitch@ix.netcom.com>