U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Beware of Amazon.com

Re: Beware of Amazon.com

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, Pam Niedermayer wrote:

Judy, I went to the Amazon Advanced Search page and searched on Midmarch Press, got piles of books listed for the publisher Midmarch Arts Press, most of which were $20 to $30 (one was much more, $90, but this was used from a 3rd party seller). I don't dispute your publishing economics caution, but see no evidence of pricing at multiples of the cover.
Apparently the editor whose friend had been quoted $150 discovered that the quote came from some outfit in Maryland that neither she nor Cynthia had ever heard of.... (Not a known bookseller or publisher, whose name they would recognize.) If the customer bit, presumably they would order from Midmarch (maybe even demanding the 60% discount, & that it be shipped immediately at the publisher's cost) and then resell to the customer -- perhaps with "free shipping."

As noted, The customer given the $150 quote for the Riley book was apparently none the wiser either... How it happened with a book newly in print, I have no idea... but it shouldn't happen with any book ever.

The customer is addressing "Amazon," the known and official source, household name. Apparently they don't know they're getting some 3rd, 4th or 5th party out of the shadows. In which case, Amazon is at fault, one way or another, for letting it happen.

Judy