U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Why Use Photo Alt Processes?

Re: Why Use Photo Alt Processes?

Title: Re: Why Use  Photo Alt Processes?
John puts his finger on the point as far as I have considered the question. I commenced attempting alt techniques (with cyanotypes) to expand my options, and came to consider that blue wasn't suitable for every subject, so investigated other processes.

I'm working on a project recording one of the largest, and for Australia, oldest necropolises in this city. It is still busily active and reflects Sydney's multicultural society, and the idiosyncracies of various cultures, it is the major burial sight of deceased Catholic priests and nuns, there is a memorial to the Holocaust and much more.

I set out to make 5x7 salted prints, but I'm finding some potential shots that demand "conventional" and larger gelatine silver prints, or possibly Bromoil (gotta get the brushes out again), or even colour prints (very vivid colours on the Romany [Gypsy in Oz parlance, I'm afraid] family plots).

The older sections of the cemetery look good in salted prints, the modern Italian family vaults are OK in salt, could perhaps be better in monochrome gelatine silver, the priests measured ranks could be interesting in super wide angle pinhole, I might have to shell out for lab development for colour for the Romanys.

It's good to feel some confidence in each medium, they're all in the pallette.

Regards - Ross