U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: toning albumen and acidity

Re: toning albumen and acidity

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: toning albumen and acidity
  • From: eric nelson <emanphoto@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:01:18 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=beta;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;bh=yY7m8AkkRUgQacLHieltBLW1Q2193bFlLnt09XEKWgM=;b=ifld6pGCuJjJzIEbWlbn5gXU+lzCeuQsKpFDZk5KeNOg3+lr4pqx+0Xtn6vOZjULlXJrOSDrKrsbOHWac6FSORZg76qj0sGfoMt5Hr8PdO/b2k0EDQuibXwvMmbpHBfTVw4TFmclIp8uuOnVpDJV73li1IGFaqnOCvaaIgkC4X8=

Thanks Ryuji,
Well w/my crappy pH paper that I procured, I got a pH of 6 for my
water (how super accurate!), 9-10 for the borax solution only, and a
pH of 8-ish once I added the gold.  The gold solution itself was 1-2.
Even with adding about a gram more of borax under constant mixing with
my magnetic mixer, I still had a yellow solution and the pH went up
slightly it seemed.

Since  the clock was running last night and I had to process the
prints I'd exposed before the fog started to kick in, I went ahead and
processed my prints and they came out OK.  The color of the prints was
not as purplish as I would get with gold chloride I made myself and
have used many times, but it gives a more controlled toning.

I had a little of my home made gold chloride available so I made a
small batch of toner with that, and when it hit the borax solution, it
turned greenish yellow and stayed that way.

I added a little of that to the store-bought gold toner solution
(after toning 2 prints) and after a while I could see a sediment of
some kind forming on the surface in the blacks so I removed the print
and wiped it in the wash by hand.

Aside from the obvious hazards of making gold chloride, it seems to be
a fairly tricky process to get exactly right in that perhaps the
krugerand I had used to make my gold chloride had some other metals in
there as well.
The gold chloride I made shouldn't be too far from the historical gold
chloride photographers would make themselves in the same manner, yet
my home-made batch seemed to be very active compared to the
store-bought gold I have now.
Being used to that higher activity, I assumed something was wrong with
my new batch of store-bought gold.
After successfully completing a titration analysis of my silver
solution, I was feeling pretty confident of my chemistry abilities
only to get frustrated when I didn't have any test for my gold and
only mediocre quality pH paper.
If anyone can suggest a souce for good pH testing paper or strips,
please feel free to pass that along.
Eric