U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Rubbing alcohol = Isopropyl alcohol? Acetic acid?

Re: Rubbing alcohol = Isopropyl alcohol? Acetic acid?

Ross wrote:

My local phamacist would have to order in a litre of Isopropyl Alcohol 70%,
but has 250ml containers of "Rubbing Alcohol" Are these the same? Intended
use: to harden the first albumen coat.
Here in the US, "rubbing alcohol" is generally about 70% isopropyl alcohol with a bit of oil and sometimes glycerine or the like so it doesn't dry out your skin as badly as plain alcohol would. The additives are often unwelcome in photo chemistry, but I have never tried setting albumen with rubbing alcohol so I can't say if it would do any harm. Pharmacies and some hardware stores here also stock 91% or 99% isopropyl alcohol (with no adulterants) in pints and smaller bottles. A farm supply store may have it for use as a disinfectant (sterilizing needles, etc.). Electronics stores may sell it for cleaning circuit boards and dissolving solder flux.

And is 28% Acetic Acid the same as Glacial Acetic Acid?
No, glacial is 99% acetic acid (approximately).

Small world -- I spent a good part of a year in your neighborhood some time ago (from Lithgow to Wallarawang, mainly, but I did see most of the East Coast from Sydney to about the middle of the Reef and returned to Lithgow along the Great Dividing Range). It was a great time! I hope to get back again.

Best regards,

etienne