U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Rubbing alcohol = Isopropyl alcohol? Acetic acid?

Rubbing alcohol = Isopropyl alcohol? Acetic acid?

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Rubbing alcohol = Isopropyl alcohol? Acetic acid?
  • From: Ross Chambers <maelduin@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:20:31 +1000

Dear helpful folks,

I'm sizing up (pardon the possible pun) the logistics of attempting albumen
printing.

My reference is Mike Robinson's article in John Barnier's book.

My local phamacist would have to order in a litre of Isopropyl Alcohol 70%,
but has 250ml containers of "Rubbing Alcohol" Are these the same? Intended
use: to harden the first albumen coat.

And is 28% Acetic Acid the same as Glacial Acetic Acid?

My usual chemistry supplier via their Sydney branch won't normally ship
volatile acids from their Mebourne chemistry store, but at least they know
what the use is. Other more local suppliers don't always understand what
they consider unorthodox uses and it helps to know what ask for.

Thanks - Ross
Ross Chambers
Blue Mountains
New South Wales