U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Kodak Day-Load Tank

Re: Kodak Day-Load Tank

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Kodak Day-Load Tank
  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:24:22 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@silvergrain.org>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:45 PM
Subject: Kodak Day-Load Tank

I'm sure this is yet another inferior product from the past,
but is there anything productive people can do with this
thing?

--
Ryuji Suzuki
Q. What is your real message?

Boy, are you ever opening the flood gates:-) Inferior is a charged word, the tank was intended to allow roll film development without a darkroom or changing bag. I have a similar tank made by Agfa called the Rondinax. Probably thousands of rolls of film were developed in these things but I would not consider them more than curiousities and collector's items now. The instructions for the Kodak tank say to agitate in the clockwise direction only, I suspect the film would come off the spool otherwise. The instructions come from a Kodak booklet for the _Kodak Reference Handbook_ dated 1946 so the tanks were evidently still in production then but its not listed in a darkroom equipment catalogue from about 1948.
A lot of Kodak stuff from this period looks quite cheap and makeshift but much of it actually works quite well. I never tried my Rondinax because its missing a part.
The tank will probably make a nice desk decoration.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com