To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2007 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: Analyzing Namias's Approach to Using Rosin

Having tried Bromoil I understand that Rosin may be used to stiffen up the ink. But his experiments must have led him away from oil based ink to arrive at what we now accept as a Resinotype powder application. Quite different to Bromoil.
Correct. Namias' idea has been to eliminate the oil, perhaps instead adding some wax -see Clerc's description- but only to decrease the melting point of the mixture.
The oil/bromoil approach is visible in the first year's description of the process, when he suggest to pick up the powder with the brush and then ink/dust the matrix. One year later, he suggested to directly spread the powder over the matrix and then to scatter it with a soft brush.
Alberto