U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Analyzing Namias's Approach to Using Rosin

Re: Analyzing Namias's Approach to Using Rosin

John,
Do you know if Namias wrote that he ceased using Bromoil factory made paper and switched entirely to his own gelatine coated paper after he started using his invention, Resinotype powder?
I have read almost all the articles published on "Il Progresso Fotografico" since the number of October 1922 until 1936 (I am still missing only a few) plus some other, all the four editions of his "Manuale di Resinotipia", and a note accompanying (I believe) a kit. To this materials, add also the English and French patents (the Italian one is not to be found). Probably, there is something before October 1922 under the form of short communication or bromoil note.
He NEVER wrote details about the paper (bromoil or simply gelatine coated), but I have found that two types were sold for a certain numbers of years. One needed to be swollen at about 50°C, while for another was suggested an alum bath before swellling.
Clerc visited Namias in Milano in June 1923 and saw a demonstration of printing from Namias himself. The notes of Clerc in his "La tecnique photographique" are the true synthesis of the process.
However, I would suggest to distinguish between the historical research for the original Namias' method and materials, and the adaptions with different materials working as well.
Alberto