U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: VDB

Re: VDB

BTW, I forgot to mention that I know someone who doesn't have this sludge problem and he is using Ammonium Iron(III) Citrate from Sigma-Aldrich...

Quoting Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name>:

Sandy, who's green Ammonium Iron(III) Citrate do you use? Not B&S's I
presume - because mine from B&S does indeed cause sludge formation
right after mixing the sensitizer. I leave it there for two days
ripening period (occasionally shaking the bottle, 2 - 3 times a day)
then filter it out before using the sensitizer. A little more sludge
precipitates even after that but since the amnt. is not important (a mm
or so precipitation in the bottom of the 250ml bottle) I leave it there
and take the sensitizer with a plastic pipette w/o disturbing it.

I'm happy with my single coat Vandykes as long as I tone them with
thiourea-gold toner. I'm not happy with my untoned Vandykes unless I
double coat.

Quoting Sandy King <sanking@clemson.edu>:

I never get any sludge!! Not after 24 hours, not after 24 days.

After several months the silver coats the side of the bottle, but the
solution remains clear.

Are you mixing with distilled water?

Sandy