U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: VDB

Re: VDB

Title: Re: VDB
Mark,

As  Don mentioned, there are many ways to work VDB with good results.

As to why double coating works better, one line of thought is that it just puts more moisture in the paper. For example, if you just coat the paper with plain distilled water, let dry, and then apply a coat of sensitizer, you will often see an increase in Dmax. All of this depends on how long you let the paper dry, drying conditions, etc.

However, like Loris I have found that I get as much or more Dmax by single coating and then toning before fixing. Yes, toning changes the color of native VDB, but then again a toned VDB should be theory be much more archival than an untoned one.

BTW, I used to always double coat, but I found that with palladium and kallitype  it was much more difficult to remove the stain than with single coating. I don't have any trouble with stain with VDB so in theory could double coat all the time, just don't find it necessary.

Sandy King