U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: First define "post-modern" photography, dammit

Re: First define "post-modern" photography, dammit

Self-absorbed artwork which mocks its subject and celebrates its own
iconoclastic cleverness is often labelled postmodernist.  I don't know how
it is defined curatorially - probably anything considered too late for the
MOMA.

One of the attractions of photography (after its obvious appeal to anyone
who can't draw) is that it is inherently grounded, which makes wanksterism
pretty hard to disguise.  For example you can't really create postmodernist
documentary photography unless you pull a stunt like paying some actors to
pose as real people, and then it becomes another category of photography
which says nothing unless it deceives us.  Conversely, using the conventions
and techniques of fashion photography to portray the victims of some
terrible inhumanity can't help but engage us with the subject, even if we
are conscious of the artifice (punctum et studium).

We should be glad about this characteristic of photography as a counter to
the pernicious effects of the PM movement.  One of the consequences of
mocking everything is to create a vacuum, into which are drawn all sorts of
fanatical secular missionaries and other crackpots, some of whom we see
grabbing the headlines.  Photography, with its ability to record and convey
the disinfecting power of sunlight, can help in outing them and exposing
their pranks.

On the other hand photography lends itself to the deconstructionist function
that is PM's only real accomplishment.  Muybridge may have been the first PM
artist.

To offer a (diffident) answer to your question, perhaps Jerry Burchfield's
lumen prints can be called PM alt.  As I understand it he sets botanical
specimens on the deck of his boat under the sun for hours interacting with
expired monochrome paper to produce unexpected colours and shapes. He seems
to catch digital pictures of them, so I wonder if the effect is transitory.

Also there is the Saul Bolanos coffee picture technique, which produces
drinkable images. Surely that's PM.

Don Sweet