U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum Application

Re: Gum Application

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Don Sweet wrote:

The full set of PF is nice and generous, and very modestly priced.

Don Sweet
Thanking you very kindly, Don. Obviously, process junkies like sharing their "habit," & I'm pretty much selling them at my cost... I figure the offset issues were paid for (in offset, you're mostly paying for the plates -- once the press is rolling, a few hundred more would be no big deal.) But I ran out of the early issues -- and the digital reprints were fraught, oh my, are they ever.

Adobe has kindly obsoleted the programs in order of their appearance, the "acrobat," the "distiller," the absurd "normalizer", etc. etc. and after assuring me that Pagemaker 7.5 would make better PDFs, so I bought it for $150 (I think it was), kindly obsoleted that, too. If I had to charge for the grief, nobody could afford them.

Yea! I think I got my #1 and #2 free.   :-)
Dave
Not quite, Dave. Your article "Lith Film in Continuous Tone" earned the "free" copy -- & considering that you'd jammed up your laser printer and turned out the 5 charts of different curves with different developers on your old dot matrix, that would clearly have come to more than the price of the issue at your regular hourly rate. (You were already "PhotoDave" ! Heh heh !)

I'll add, incidentally, that most folks still want the bound hard copy of Issue #1 as part of the "set," tho I'm happy to prorate the cost if they don't... I DREAD the digital reprinting -- wonderful when it works, and the repro tends (except when there's a hiccup) to be better, but each time there's a new digital maven at the shop & the software from Adobe is obsolete, and I'm totally outwitted and out of my depth... and only succeed through the kindness of strangers. I've vowed that when Issue #4 runs out (about half a box left) it's OVER !

OK, end of commercial.... tho again, thanks,

J.