U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Gum Application

RE: Gum Application

Judy,

>> I use a dense foam roller to apply my gum coats, and they are smooth to
the
>> point of being clinical.

Clay's remark is right on target in my experience. The micro foam roller
yields the smoothest results I have gotten.

Second to that are the coatings one can get with Connoisseur brand hake
brushes recommended by Chris Anderson. Pricey, but worth the money in my
experience; they seem to never shed. Add to that a badger hair blending
brush and viola`, no streaking.

improving it because the roller itself was the very devil
to wash out... Our water is metered, and that year we were probably also
having a drought... if I wanted to use the same roller for a different
color.... Oi !! Gallons... and taking forever.

Yes the washout is the con for the micro foam roller but I purchased a bunch
of them with handles and soak them in water with clear house hold ammonia
for a day and they wash out very easily, though there is a bit of stain
left. The stain has no consequence on the next use even with a different
color. And the rollers do require about twice the amount of
pig+gum+dichromate but the coatings are smooth and repeatable with a little
practice.

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant