U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum Application

Re: Gum Application

On 28-Nov-07, at 3:34 AM, Clay Harmon wrote:

I use a dense foam roller to apply my gum coats, and they are smooth to the point of being clinical. The 6 inch white rollers found at a paint store are the ticket, in my opinion. Just put on the coating and roll back and forth until it has the smooth burnished look that used to be so hard to get with brushes.

This is another alternative that may be worth investigating.
I may have fluffed it, or had the wrong kind of roller, or some other impediment, but I found that the roller laid on a texture, or density, that didn't respond well, at least to my style of development, and I didn't work on improving it because the roller itself was the very devil to wash out... Our water is metered, and that year we were probably also having a drought... if I wanted to use the same roller for a different color.... Oi !! Gallons... and taking forever.

The foam brush rinses quickly and easily... (But the one with the wooden handle is the good kind, the one with the red plastic handle is too stiff.)

J.