U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Paper Negatives

Paper Negatives

Hi all,

I've always used transparency material to make laser-printed negatives for cyanotype (and my few mediocre attempts at one-coat gum).

Something is wrong with my laser printer these days, because there are clear lines along the transparency where it seems some toner has been scraped off by something along the drive path in the printer. But as there is no toner removed when printing on ordinary paper, I've decided to stop using transparencies for negatives.

Oiled paper was one of my choices as a substitute, but I thought I'd give translucent paper (fake vellum) such as Chartham Natural Translucent (17 lb.) a try as a shortcut to the effect of oiling regular paper. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it will work just fine. As soon as we get some solid sunshine again, I'll try it out.

I have all my C.N.T. stock cut to 8½ × 11 as that's a convenient size for me, but it comes as 23 × 35 inch parent sheets, if anyone has the ability to make printed negatives that size. Not sure if it will print well with inkjet, though; it doesn't like "wet" ink all that much.

The only drawback I can see is that Chartham Natural Translucent is about the same cost as transparencies, if not actually a little more. But I've already paid for a big stack of it cut to size, so now it's "free". 8^D

Just a thought.

Take care,
Randi
Ms Randi DeLisle
bookbinder, publisher, printmaker & photographer
pulp fictions & pulp fictions press
Grand Forks BC Canada pulpfic (at) telus.net