U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Bleach-development with gum

Re: Bleach-development with gum

This is my best so far (after six test prints - including this one):

http://www.loris.medici.name/gum/bleach_2.jpg

I was testing with another negative with plenty detail / texture but then I
decided to change the negative to make a fair comparison (portraits are
harder since the tones are much more subtle).

Indeed, there's very very slight blotching / mottling when compared to
normal prints. In my case, I think this is mostly due uneven coating. When
the coating is not too thin / thick and even, there's no perceptible
blotching / mottling. In this sample, the coating wasn't perfect. I did
another before this one which was better, but I ruined it when I tried to
coat it with polyurethane; eventually it wasn't dry enough and the brush
awful marks on the print. (I have to learn to be patient!)

It must be noted that this print is not from a negative calibrated for gum
specifically. It's from a negative (digital) calibrated for Traditional
Cyanotype on Masa paper. So, probably there's still plenty of room for
improvement...

I would like to thank Marek for mentioning this method and providing info
about his tests / procedure. This is a very nice method for those who want
to make one-coat gums with a high dynamic range - especially for images with
plenty detail and texture, less so when you need both high dynamic range and
subtle tonality - but this is not where gum comes into my mind in the first
place anyway...