U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Bleach-development with gum recipe

Re: Bleach-development with gum recipe

Hmm. I think we must be talking past each other, or I'm too tired to be coherent, which is quite likely. I was responding to your proposal that we forget the water because the water makes no difference; to me the prints show that the water makes a good deal of difference, even if it's just a little water I, by the way, prefer the print without the added water, the one with darker DMax and more contrast. I'd probably let it develop a little longer, if I hadn't been standardizing the development for comparison, but I think it's a much better print, even a little underdeveloped. I don't care for the flatness of the other one, and it's interesting: I guess this also offers some support for the theory that adding water promotes pigment stain, because there's some stain in the highlights. I've never credited that theory much, but then I've never added water to my mixes either.

I thought I gave all the details on the page, but would be glad to answer any other questions. The amount of gum should be the same in both, as I simply added a little water to the total rather than changing the gum.

I'm not sure what you're seeing in this, but it certainly doesn't convince me that I'd want to add water to the mix, quite the contrary.

About the flood: Mostly it's a matter of waiting for a dry day and putting things outside to dry out, but the canvases, including fresh stretched canvases and also finished paintings, are stained at the water line, and I don't know if they can be fixed; also some of the stretchers are warped out of shape. Otherwise everything is just waterlogged. The papers in the flat file didn't get wet, but they're very damp just from the dampness in the air, and all the blotters are wavy instead of flat. Thanks for asking.
kt