U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Bleach-development with gum

Re: Bleach-development with gum

Hi again Keith,

I got wrinkling only in one occasion - but I haven't used sheets bigger than
11x14".

Why you say that about baby-oiled negatives? We used them in the Istanbul
workshop. (Yes, they were messy if that's your problem - I guess you have to
make a good stock of blotting paper!)

Since you're using/testing el-cheapo paper negatives, let me quote something
that I've read in the HybridPhoto.com forums -> paper shrinks considerably
after the first printing but not much (almost none) in subsequent printings.
Therefore you can just make two sets of negatives after measuring the amount
of shrinking: first set contains only one negative that you're going to use
for the first printing, second set contains the negative(s) you're going to
use in subsequent printings (on shrinked paper) which should be printed
smaller by the same % of shrinking you have measured before...

This is something that was suggested by the user "dwross" - eventually this
method works well for her. (BTW, she has a very interesting website about
silver gelatin emulsion making!)

Anyway, if that also works well for you then you won't need to affix Masa on
the support for dimensional stability - the second negative set (consisting
of smaller negatives) will offset the shrinkage!