U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: OT: 16 bit editing myth or reality?

Re: OT: 16 bit editing myth or reality?

Ryuji,

You are absolutely right, my "simulation" is rather simplistic and of course
someone else probably did a much more in depth study of this subject before
me. I just wanted to put numbers on the popular advice of working in 16 bit
mode, mostly for myself but then I thought it might be useful to others.

I would add to what is said below by both of us, all of this as to be put in
perspective because of our ability to discrimitate between levels as been
estimated at about 1%, this less then 1 in 7 bits (2^7 = 128). Before we
disagree on this, I'll add that at this time, color science asn't come up
with a truly perceptually uniform color model to represent the human vision.
This 1% value is valid only in a specific context and most probably not
applicable in real world situation.

Regards
Yves