U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: mounting issues

Re: mounting issues

If the print is small single weight, gluing directly on the
acid-free backing board may be adequate, but this is not a
very prefered method. This is because if there is any
mechanical stress on the print, the print itself may be
damaged. Also, you want to use a somewhat water-soluble glue
such as starch paste or wheat paste, but not hygroscopic
material. The idea is that the material must be archival, the
glue should be reversible if the print needs to be mounted on
a new board, and the mounting mechanism must be weaker than
the print itself, so that if there is any mechanical stress,
the mount breaks not the print.

You want to look at my posting to this list made on Monday,
August 01, 2005 4:48 AM EDT. I recommend you consider
S-hinge. If the print is small and lightweight, V-hinge may be
adequate, but I find S-hinge much less frustrating despite
more steps required.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"All goods worth price charged," is what Jack Daniel's nephew