U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Javelle water and gum 1907

Javelle water and gum 1907

I found another mention of Javelle water in my notes--a blurb about using it on overexposed gum prints at a 2-3% dilution. It said in there (scientists, have a heyday with this one) that "apparently it attacks the underlying parts and not the surface of the image if allowed to act too long".
The use of this as well as chlorine water or "chloride of lime" (what is this??) was suggested by Wharton Simpson in 1868 for CARBON prints. But it also suggests in there to use it "locally" with a brush, which I thought was interesting in this javelle discussion.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson Assistant Professor
Photo Option Coordinator
Montana State University
Box 173350
Bozeman, MT 59717