U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: archivalness of gum

RE: archivalness of gum

> > [...] I wonder if use of formaldehyde for hardening gelatin
> gives the
> > benefit of preserving it from bugs...
>
> No.

Huh!? So this is also a myth?

Ok, mybe in a less technical sense, does hardening reduce or minimize the
problem with bugs? I have always thought (though I have no scientific proof
and didn't check) that the hardened gelatin would capture less water from
the atmosphere and so would preserve better... sort of like a jello would
certainly spoil faster than the dry gelatin powder. Is this not true?

Dave