U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: archivalness of gum

Re: archivalness of gum

From: Yves Gauvreau <gauvreau-yves@cgocable.ca>
Subject: Re: archivalness of gum
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:54:43 -0500

> Is it the same for gelatin?

Gelatin as we use today is a natural stuff but probably newer
than gum arabic. You might want to look up when hide glue came
in use. Gelatin is one step more sophisticated than crude hide
glue.

However, chemical properties of gelatin were extensively
studied in the 20th century by chemists in the photographic
industry and we know this material very well. I think
arguments on archival superiority between gum and gelatin is
only going to be dogmatic and useless.

Archivality is usually something you want to meet and exceed a
reasonable expectation but who needs the "most archival"
material in order for your art to be meaningful?

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings."