U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Reprise ...Re: archivalness of gum

Reprise ...Re: archivalness of gum

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Diana Bloomfield wrote:

Hey Judy,
.... I was very surprised when the person asked me that question about putting a layer of gum over platinum (this person, who, admittedly, doesn't do alt processes and only prints digitally). My reply was simply that maybe he should ask a painter who specializes in watercolors if he/she thinks their paintings are archival. ??
EXCELLENT question ! (Watercolor is officially the least archival "art" medium... for whatever that's worth.)

CUT:

I did print all that work on Hahnemuhle, but haven't tried any of their papers for alt printing yet.
I liked their Merten Spiese (sp?) for gum... it doesn't show as much texture in the actual print as it looks like.... But I need to try that Photo Rag paper.... thanks...

J.