U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: archivalness of gum

Re: archivalness of gum

On Dec 22, 2007, at 8:53 AM, Dave S wrote:

When I said indigo was a mixture of prussian blue and quinacridone red, I
didn't mean it to be that technical and 100% accurate in all cases.

But surely it has to be accurate in at least one case, in order not to be completely nonsensical. Your original statement was "Today's indigo is a mixture of prussian blue and quinacridone red." My question wasn't whether you know it to be 100% accurate in all cases (although to make logical sense the statement would have to be assumed to be generally true); my question was whether you know of ANY such paint. If there's no paint called "indigo" that consists of prussian blue and quinacridone red, then the statement not only isn't "100% accurate in all cases" but is categorically false.

Hue names are useless for gum printing, because they tell you nothing about the pigments involved; if you don't know and understand the pigments you're using, you're losing out on one of the crucial control variables of gum printing in my experience. So discussing colors in terms of hue names just confuses and misleads people, and I can't see any point in it.
Katharine

The
point is simply I was concurring with Judy that indigo is nowadays a
hue/tone name. As a mix, each manufacturer is free to use different pigments
in different proportions. One needs to check the content.

As to listing pigment by pigment numbers, that is always true in another
context. But here we are not talking about USING INDIGO PIGMENT. In fact,
the context is the opposite. We are talking about indigo not being a pigment
in manufactured watercolors but a hue/tone name.

Dave