U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: warning Re: gum mixes

Re: warning Re: gum mixes

Judy,

Contrary to rumors, I don't have an orange tongue from licking dichromate.

It is very true that we need to exercise caution when handling chemicals. Warnings are indeed included with almost every alt process directions these days. But I have yet to see dichromate in powder form - what I use is in crystal form and with the same respect I have for any other photo chemicals, I don't find the danger of inhaling it unless I stick my nose into the crystal and clearly I don't do that.

I prefer to use about 1/8 of dichromate in dry form for gum as compared to using saturated solutions. Didn't we go over this many times in the past? I can't understand why one would use more dichromate than necessary to do the job, except because the folks who wrote the literature way back when said to do so. They obviously did not see the danger of dumping more dichromate down the drain way back then.

The degree of dichromate concentration does affect the contrast. This is no longer a problem. With digital negatives one can easily accommodate the change. Just do a test with the step tablet. Speed does not change very much, except in extreme cases.

It would be a better world if we all dump less dichromate down the drain, and one way of doing that is to use smaller amount of dichromate instead of saturated solutions. Using dry crystals is the easier way to accomplish that.

Sam Wang