U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: peeling the apple + "American Photography"

Re: peeling the apple + "American Photography"

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Ender100@aol.com wrote:

As a kid my grandfather used to sit in his rocking chair (now another of my
prized possessions) and peel an apple with a pen knife while we grandchildren
I think it was you, Mark, who appointed me grammar police... So it would be remiss of me not to point out that it wasn't your grandfather who used to sit as a kid, but you as a kid who watched grandfather, etc.... or so I surmise. And what kind of apple, pray tell? Off a tree in the back yard? Surely at the very least a nice fresh orchard apple, not one cold storaged & trucked 1000 miles.

But that's not why I'm writing either, which is to say, in answer to Alberto's question, that the date on the cover of the American Photography Annual (Vol. 18) is 1924, but that the rest of the format strikes me as somewhat eccentric.

The masthead and contents for each issue are ganged up at the back of the book. The pages I sent were from May, 1924. The masthead page for that issue says (after serious blah blah blah) "Copyright 1924 by the American Photographic Publishing Company. Entered as second-class matter, March 16, 1908 at the Postoffice at Boston, Mass, under the Act of March 3, 1879, Printed in the United States of America."

The section that I copied is headed "Photographic Review" authored by E.J. Wall, F.C.S., F.R.P.S., listed thusly with no further notations under "Articles and Departments" on the Masthead page. If I'd noticed those pages I'd have included a copy (just found them now, back with the ads -- and, I note, each one has an ad for something from Ansco on its other side.)

So, though the technology of the day no doubt caused them to be somewhat loosey goosey about dates, the discrepancy Alberto suggests would have been the other way around, no?

Meanwhile, I find the following interesting data on the Masthead:

"Incorporating Anthony's Photographic Bulletin, Established 1870; The Photographic Times, Established 1871; American Amateur Photgrapher, Established 1889; The Photo Beacon, Established 1888; The Amateur Photographer's Weekly, Est. 1912; Camera Notes, Established 1897; Camera and Dark Room, Established 1898; Photographic Topics, Established 1902; Popular Photography, Established 1912; Photo Craft, Established 1918."

It also lists as "European Agents," The International News Compny Ltd, in London... & others in New Zealand, Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch.

I suppose that by 1924 they could telegraph, but that was costly (charged per word) and awkward. And copy, photos, etc. had to be delivered by ship...no telephone either. Which is to say, production was surely extended over a span of time... whatever that means re the patent date.

cheers, etc.

Judy