U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Direct vs. transfer carbon print

Direct vs. transfer carbon print

All,
So I made a set of prints. One is the carbon transfer print. Old fashioned. I was just aiming for the middle tone density to match my other print. I am not the carbon transfer master printer and this is not intended to be a perfect print.
Second print is gum / bleach develop with the same middle tone density. Made from the same negative, very close exposure as well. My point here is to compare tonality of both prints. Both in the shadows and in highlights. Smooth gradation that is so characteristic of carbon transfer is also evident in gum/bleach develop. Same carbon black pigment was used in both prints.  Other dead giveaways of carbon transfer are evident (frilled adges, holes, etc). I actually was looking for the non-perfect/hand made artifacts of the transfer process.
http://picasaweb.google.com/marekmatusz1/DirectCarbon

Marek

Put your friends on the big screen with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™. Start now!