U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: camera phone as "alternative"

Re: camera phone as "alternative"

Judy,

I recently needed a new cell phone. The young buck behind the counter suggested this little Nokia flip job.

"Hey, I'm a professional photographer. I don't need a phone with a dumb, piece of junk camera in it," I told him.

"I don't either," he said. "But it's the best performer we've got here."

After looking at the other choices, I bought the phone.

It wasn't out of the box 5 minutes before Kate and I were playing with the damn camera. I use it all the time!

I love the stupid thing! I no longer have the excuse of saying, 'Gee too bad I didn't bring my camera.' And I don't have the pressure of making every exposure pro-grade: it's just for fun.

I also do a lot of work with kids K-12. I'm thinking about doing a project which would give kids these cell phone mini cams.

My phone saves pictures as jpegs on a micro SD card. I download the card directly to the computer. (If you send them by phone the quality goes way down.)

Minnesota Public Radio recently hosted a discussion entitled "Is Photography Dead?" Far from lowering interest in photography, I think developments like the cell phone camera will breed the next generation of shooters. (Long live the Brownie!)

Cheers,
Barry

Judy Seigel wrote:

Baby's first photograph taken by camera phone sent (like a phone call I suppose) to another camera phone is IMO somewhat to the north of Star Wars. But my son (on the west coast) has sent photo of self with newborn taken on his cell phone to his sister's cell phone, said sister (east coast) having kindly given us a glimpse of the tiny photo.

We would like to see the photo a bit larger, also to print it out to share -- minus cell phone. Folks I've asked say yes you can upload a photo from a camera phone to a computer "if you know how," but so far no one knows how.

The computer is Mac, system 9.2 or 10.39 (no leopard!) Any info or advice on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

J.