U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: albumen printing

Re: albumen printing

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: albumen printing
  • From: Andy Duncan <duncanad45@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:01:19 -0700
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references;bh=hT3glExZpbxJ0O+7sK+0ybwQEIO8YkKjyLwzwgQMWd4=;b=PwKMCfZF8J1kSWFOjQ57i4Q1zNdgbdBHXgFKG4uDhvzEDPU37VsWlUHedecgn0huILq1wnenzNxXlWAE99NUtwSFny86cvEjfG8YweLh2z5sTbENFwamoGBuGbne+9GNg6t8VIUVaN+cM+nlpkRkg1JEIOgm0dBH5ZlGRtAK+QU=

Thanks for the sources. I guess I'll be ordering materials sometime soon to get going on my first try.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com> wrote:

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Andy Duncan wrote:

> Hello all,Can anyone point me to some references on how to make and
> sensitize albumen paper? I've been wanting to do this process for quite some
> time now, and I figured now's the time to start gathering materials and a
> knowledge base to start making them.
> Thanks in advance,
> Andy Duncan

Andy, Post-Factory #8 [The World-Journal of Post-Factory Photography] has
an article by John Dugdale and his assistant, Dan Levin, who learned
albumen printing from the classic sources (Reilly, et al) while adapting
it to contemporary materials (commercial eggwhites, for example). If
you're in the US, the issue is $6, plus postage $2 -- for elsewhere, the
United States Post Office has turned obnoxious as the only mail now is
airmail which... if memory serves, the last single issue I mailed (to
England) was, incredibly, $9.

PS: If you have a friend who has this issue, I encourage you to ask them
to copy the article & mail.

PPS. It's titled "Albumen Liberation" since Dan found that some of the
traditional agonies could be omitted (tho some couldn't).

Judy

--
www.andydduncan.com
www.andydduncan.com/blog